Working with state & local tax experts equips you with all the information and expert guidance necessary to:
Understand your unique reporting requirements
Every state is different; a nexus study reveals which taxes apply to your unique business and explains why they pertain to you.
Remain compliant and avoid harsh penalties
If the state determines you failed to pay the appropriate taxes, you could be subject to penalties and interest that can go back many years.
Plan for the future
Understanding your company’s tax obligations allows you to make more informed decisions throughout the year.
When Should a Business Conduct a Nexus Study?
A nexus study is valuable for new and established businesses alike. Laws change, and business activities evolve and develop. So even if you’ve completed a nexus study in the past, an updated analysis can reveal whether you’re still compliant.
Some of the common activities that trigger nexus include:
- Creating a physical presence in the state, such as establishing an office or renting a warehouse
- Selling products or services from an out-of-state location to customers in-state
- Hiring remote employees
With these activities in mind, a nexus study is essential for businesses that are:
- Expanding into new markets
- Making sales in new states
- Launching new products and services
- Moving or expanding an international business into the U.S.
- Acquiring new companies
- Looking to become compliant after receiving a penalty