Illinois R&D Tax Credit Summary


Illinois State R&D Tax Credit

For tax years ending before January 1, 2022, a non-refundable credit is allowed against the regular income tax for increasing research activities in Illinois in an amount equal to 6.5% of qualifying expenditures.

  • Qualifying expenditures” means qualifying expenditures as defined for the federal credit for increasing research activities that would be allowed under IRC § 41 and that are conducted in Illinois
  • “Qualifying expenditures for the base period” means the average of the qualifying expenditures for each year in the base period
  • The base period is the three years immediately preceding the tax year for which the credit is calculated
Questions? Contact Us

    By entering your email address, you agree to receive more information from PMBA in accordance with our privacy policy

    • Qualified research is defined in IRC § 41(d). IRC § 41(b) as the sum of in-house research expenses and contract research expenses paid or incurred by the taxpayer during the taxable year in carrying on any trade or business of the taxpayer
    • Qualifying expenditures also include basic research payments, as that term is defined in IRC § 41(e)

    How to obtain the credit?

    Corporations must complete and file Form IL-1120.

    Refundable/Transferable Tax Credit – No


    Any credit in excess of tax liability for the tax year can be carried forward for five years or until it is fully used, whichever occurs first.

    Talk to an Expert Today

    Flow-Through Entity

    “For tax years beginning on and after January 1, 1999, partners and shareholders of Subchapter S corporations shall be allowed a credit under this subsection (h) to be determined in accordance with the determination of income and distributive share of income under Sections 702 and 704 and Subchapter S of the Internal Revenue Code (IITA Section 201(k)). No inference shall be drawn from the enactment of PA 91-644, which expressly allows this pass-through of credits, in construing IITA Section 201(k) for tax years beginning prior to January 1, 1999.”